Things to Think About: Shipping Packages
You have an item. You sold this item to a person in another city. This item will not fit in an envelope. This item is large. It needs to be put in a box. But, which box? Which carrier do you use? How do you ensure you are getting the best rates and capturing the highest ROI for this item?
Below, I’ve listed 3 things to think about when you are beginning to build your eCommerce business.
UPS & FedEx Raise Shipping Rates for 2017
With FedEx and UPS both announcing rate hikes last year, I wanted to take a quick moment to break down the changes in shipping rates:
FedEx’s rate hike took effect on January 2, 2017. Some of these changes include:
- FedEx Express rates are increasing by an average of 3.9% for U.S. domestic, U.S. export, and U.S. import services;
- FedEx Ground and FedEx Home Delivery rates are increasing by an average of 4.9%, with FedEx SmartPost rates also changing;
- FedEx Express and FedEx Ground U.S. domestic dimensional weight advisor will change from 166 to 139;
- FedEx Freight rates will increase by an average of 4.9%;
- The FedEx Freight extreme length surcharge will change from $88 to $150, and will be applied to shipments 12 feet or greater compared to the prior 15 feet